Preliminary task evaluation

                                  

I am now going to include a small evaluation which will talk through my recording and editing process. I am going to note how I found this task, via mentioning the challenges, skills I picked up, how the technology helped me achieve my goal and how what I have learned will help me with the preparation for my final task. 


As this was my first time using Adobe Audition, I found it quite difficult at the start learning how to use the technology to edit and mix the final recordings, along with music and sound effects. As I progressed, managed to pick up certain skills, which gave me a much better understanding on what I needed to do, to create an authentic sports show. 

For example, I learnt how to filter the sound of the commentators voice, via taking out some of the bass and treble. Around his voice, the sound of the shots were assembled on the multitrack screen. In regards to sound effects, the crowd cheering was put in right at the end, in the right place, also using the multi track screen. I added a reverb (different kinds of echoe) to the tennis shots and crowds cheering, without the commentator speaking in. I also learnt how to mix everything down into mono. This was so all the sound effects from different places, with a different stereo spectrum could 'gel' together. 

I also ensured I picked suitable actors for their characters, via ensuring they delivered with the correct tone of voice and enthusiasm. Representation was significant in regards to my genre and audience, as it had to be sufficient for engaging a sports  I had audience and genre in mind whilst doing this, as they had to be sufficient for listeners keen in sports. I asked each of my actors to say their lines in a variety of different ways, such as, bouncing in or being more serious. I could then decide which one of these I could use for my recording. I was also able to cut and paste two different recordings, each said at different times, together to make it sound like a conversation. The software also enabled me to delete mistakes and cut out breathing sounds, which gave me a lot more control. 

When it comes to my final task, It is going to be a lot harder to choose suitable actors, and direct their roles. This is because there will be many more roles to be played, which require a wider variety of characteristics. I am going to make sure I carefully consider the correct people. 

I have included audio clips of the recorded and post production recordings from my preliminary task. I have done this in order to show what I managed to achieve via using Adobe Audition. 





I found my jingle music from the college's music library CD selection. I added more of a beat to making it sound more imploring to a wider audience. In order to make my jingle more catchy, and enhance the sound, I included a chorus effect. As I now know how to accurately structure a jingle, in my final extract I will be able to produce one which is more intrepid. 





I have realised how including sound effects creates authentic sounding locations. For example, I have managed to position listeners with a tennis tournament. I will certainly consider using these whilst making my news stories and adverts for my final task, in order to make them sound as realistic as possible.  



Below I have inserted the audio files for my commentator, guest and presenter, before I mixed in the sound effects.  







When recording each of my actors, I ensured that they spoke closely into the mic, in order to amplify the sound of their voice. I learnt that compression makes everything sound louder and brings any quieter sounds up to become more equal with the rest of the volume. This made it sound much more realistic and similar to existing radio. Therefore, I will compress the sound in my final piece. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different types of jingles

Evaluation - technologies

Evaluation - different institutions distribution