Evaluation - Audience (who would they be and how did I attract them)

Within my research and planning I completed a number of tasks which all held significance to my audience. This included both primary and secondary research. Both forms of research included audience questionnaires, in order to gain insight to listening preferences and habits along with looking at existing station websites, such as Ofcom. 

Below are my blog posts within my research and planning to do with audience:

Audience
Radio websites and target audience
Similar radio websites
Adverts for target audience
Primary research - Questionnaire
Secondary research - Ofcom character of service sheets


By completing this research, it enabled me to learn the factors which existing radio stations use to attract their target audience/listeners. I now understand that this is achieved through choice of news stories, speakers, jingles, adverts, playlists, representation, websites and the genre/style of station. 

My character of service sheet for Northside FM shows how it is a local radio station, which operates within North London. Moreover, it states my aim of providing a youthful playlist of music which a news bulletin which appeals to my target audience of 16-28 year olds. Additionally, it states how it is targetted at both genders. 



As my radio show is featured on a local station, I ensured it was geared towards a local audience. I also made sure that I featured the conventions from local news stories and jingles. For instance, all the news stories took place in the area which Northside is broadcasted from; North London. The jingle mentions the station name, which clearly states the area which it operates in. In my research and planning I completed a series of blog posts outlining the differences between national and local news stories along with local bulletins. This helped me create my bulletin to suit a local 'template'. 

Below are my blog posts outlining this:

News analysis
Comparing Local and National news stories
Local news story
National/international news story
Analysing local radio show news bulletins - Birmingham
Analysing local radio show news bulletins - Liverpool

I constantly kept my target audience in mind when deciding on the adverts to include in my radio show. This is because certain products will appeal to certain age groups and genders. As my my listeners are both male and females ages 16-28, I incorporated in the habits and lifestyles of people within this group of people to create two effect and persuasive adverts. 

Below is my blog post outlining ideas of different products I could advertise on my show:


After creating a list of potential products to be advertised, I decided to generate two adverts based on the theme of gym memberships and food. I chose these two themes because i felt as though my audience would be highly attracted to them. I feel as though the society in which we surround ourselves in today places particular emphasis on healthy lifestyles and exercise, especially via social media. My target audience is within the age group which I feel gets greatly influenced by the rise of social media, which is why I chose to produce an advert for pure gym. The other product I chose to advertise was Ben and Jerry's new ice cream flavour. As mentioned in my research and planning, the food industry see's adolescents as a major market force, who are a main part of my target audience. I ensured my actress used a very descriptive and tempting tone of voice when describing the ice cream; 'big dollop of vanilla ice cream', 'swirls of peanut butter sauce' and 'a huge scoop of candied peanuts'. Moreover, both these adverts appeal to both male and females, which is why I felt that they'd be suitable. A large sector of listeners will be students, as my show is aimed at ages 16-18 year olds. The main focus of my pure gym advert is to advertise the special offer about getting your first 6 months half price. This is significant as students are often on a tight budget. 

Below are my 2 adverts which I scripted, recorded and edited:






I kept referencing back to my demographic whilst deciding on my news stories. In the end, I managed to script stories which would large appeal to my target audience. I feel as though my first story was the most attractive to my audience as it is about the opening of a new Grime nightclub, in local area Muswell Hill. The ethos of Grime is one of Britains most important youth culture, and given the fact that part of my audience are within this age group, I figured they would be extremely engaged to this story.

Below I have inserted this news story clip before I edited in sound effects of angry residents protesting against the opening of the club. I played these sound effects over correspondant Eli Caine, and resident Lisa Freeman. 



I have also included the sound effects which I used. 



Below is my station Jingle, which references a slogan 'the best sounds from North London'. I tried to ensure the slogan was catchy and engaged my audience. Moreover, the area to which my show is broadcasted in has also been mentioned. 



Another way I targeted my audience was through the age and gender of my show presenter. Therefore, I played the role of Emma Brown myself, as I believe I have a cheerful and young tone of voice which will engage listeners. 

After hearing Jorja Smith play, Emma Brown mentions the release of her new album, along with tickets for her show and other summer gigs which they will be giving out. This will be very attractive to listeners as concerts and giggs are very centered within my target audience. She also mentions other well known artists such as Frank Ocean, and an exclusive interview with 'Legit', who is a very well known rap artist. I hoped that this would encourage listeners to stay tuned into the show. 



I created a potential playlist for my radio, which I have posted the link for below. North Side fm is geared towards males and females ages 16-28, within North London. Therefore, the songs I chose were songs which I felt would be suitable for my target audience. This meant that I listened to radio stations such as Capital and Kiss, who are geared towards the same audience, to get an idea of which genres of music would be most suitable. Chart music, Hip pop and Rap deemed most popular. This then led me to deciding to have the end of 'I am' by Jorja Smith fade in at the start of my show and 'God's Plan' by Drake fade out by the end. I carried out both primary and secondary research, such as questionnaires and my character of service sheets to help me make this decision. 

Potential playlist

Below are the two songs which I included: 


I have created a questionnaire, in order to gauge an audience response to my news bulletin. I have regarded the relative success of my bulletin, in terms of genre , choice of stories and comparison to existing media texts. 

1) Were you engaged and connected with the news stories in my bulletin, in regards to your age and interests?


2) Does my radio show hold authenticity to real radio stations?


3) Have I managed to use corresponding conventions from current radio shows?


4) Do the songs which I have included match the songs which radio shows targeted at a similar audience in terms of age and gender, such as Capital?


5) Did you feel as thought my bulletin suited a local news report?


6) Are my adverts persuasive in selling the products/services

7) Did you find my jingle stimulating and successful in leading you to tune into my radio?

After conducting my primary research, I gathered a wide range of answers from my audience. They stated how my radio show held realism and authentic throughout and they also felt as though it it was clearly geared towards my target audience. This was achieved through my local news stories, persuasive content in my adverts and contemporary music choices. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different types of jingles

Evaluation - technologies

Evaluation - different institutions distribution