Conventions of Radio News Bulletins

Within this post I am going to be looking at the conventions of news bulletins that appear, regardless of the type of station; e.g. jingles, music and presenters.  

Below are some of the conventions I will be looking at: 

1) Vox pops
Vox pops are members of the public who are commenting on the story, along with giving their opinions. There could be an extended Vox pop, or 2 or more people after eachother.



2) Outside broadcast's
Outside broadcast's are when radio or television programmed are broadcasted or recorded live on location and not in an actual studio. 



3) Going to a correspondant 
This is when someone, who works for the radio station, has gone live at the scene of the story 


4) Sound bites 
Sound bites are a short extract from a recorded speech or interview. They are often a piece of dialogue, said by a person who is directly involved in the story, or an elite person. Sound bites are never from someone who is just passing by, they are often from a press conference or an interview. 


5) Archive clip 
An archive clip is something which has been pre recorded from the past, such as extracts from previous interviews.  


6) Expert guests 
Expert guests are a type of sound bites, which give certainty and assurance to a story


I listened to 3 different national radio station news bulletins, which were reported on different days and at different times 

1) The first bulletin I listened too was Capital at 4pm. In this bulletin I heard a correspondant, along with a sound bite. 

2) The second news bulletin I listened too was Radio 1 at 1pm. In this I heard, Vox pops and a sound bite.  

3) The final bulletin I listened too was Kiss, 12pm. I heard a sound bite in this bulletin. 

Overall, each of the radio stations I listened too contained sound bites. Both Capital and Radio 1 contained other features; a correspondent and Vox pops. However, Kiss only contained a sound bite. These added features allows listeners to hear another opinion in regards to the news story. This makes stories more stimulating and intriguing to listen to, as listeners aren't just listening to the presenter talk. Since completing this task, I am going to ensure I include a few of these in my news bulletin for my radio show. This is because I want to make it as exciting and engaging for listeners as possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different types of jingles

Evaluation - technologies

Evaluation - different institutions distribution